Just last week I was like, “I’m wearing summer stuff FOREVER,” and here I am talking about fall. If you’re anything like me, you may have a difficult time putting together outfits during these seasonal transition periods. Where one day it’s 80 degrees and the next it’s 60. But I think having a toolkit of pieces you can add to any outfit helps you ease your way into a new season. I’ve gathered 5 items below that not only help me transition my outfits for the fall season, but actually get me excited about kissing those summer days au revoir.
I wore all these pieces at the same time to better illustrate my point, but you (obviously) don’t have to.
- Statement loafers: Every fall/winter my toes wave goodbye to their sandal friends only to be stuffed into their foot prison (closed toed shoes) for the next few months. But when you’ve got killer footwear, it’s not so bad. These puppies are from Zara and won’t set you back more than $50. I love that they also have a bit of a platform for some extra height. Wear these with colored tights or patterned socks for even more impact.
- A structured bag: Oversized carry-alls are great for summer. They say, “Look at me I have so much stuff to carry, I must be going on vacation!” But a small structured bag brings you back down to reality: vacation season is over and it’s time to get back to business.
- Leopard print: For me personally, all-over leopard print is more of a fall/winter print than a summer print. There’s something about animal prints that feel very “winter is coming” to me. I say go bold with leopard print this season. In fact, this dress used to be a floor length maxi and I idiotically had it shortened. One of my biggest tailoring regrets. I think the secret to a chic (not cheap) leopard print ensemble is keeping the fit on the looser side.
- A lightweight scarf: Don’t rock your thick wool scarves just yet. A personal pet peeve of mine is when people wear knit hats and scarves before it’s seasonally appropriate. Like, dude, it will get cold enough to wear that hat, just wait a month or two. I wrapped this chiffon skinny scarf around twice in the front, and let the tails hang off my back. But it would look totally cool flipped around as well (with the tails or a bow in the front).
- Vampy lips: You guys already know I’m a Nars gal. I swear by Heat Wave on the daily. But I love rocking a witchy pout in the fall/winter. I feel like it’s the only time of year I can comfortably let out my inner goth girl.
What is your quintessential fall piece? Let me know in the comments!
Scroll down for more options of my 5 fall essentials. Happy falling y’all!